Tips to Get Your Energy Back
It’s normal to feel tired when you’re pregnant, especially during the first trimester and again during the third trimester.
Here are some tips to get you up and going:
1. Listen to your body. If you’re tired, rest. Pace yourself and don’t try to be all things at once. Take naps when you need them – even 15 to 20 minutes can help -- and don’t overcommit to projects or responsibilities.
2. Ask for help. Rope in friends and family to give you a hand when you need it.
3. Get more sleep. Go to bed earlier and wake up later.
4. Eat well. Include complex carbohydrates and protein in your diet. Take more fruits and vegetables and as few processed foods as possible.
5. Eat often. Eating a small healthy snack once every two to four hours can help. Keeping your blood sugar balanced will increase your energy levels.
6. Exercise. Take a short walk. Swimming and prenatal yoga are good options too. This will also help you sleep better which in turn will pump up your energy levels.
7. Take breaks. If you are working, try and take short breaks at work. Put your feet up. If possible, take a few minutes to close your eyes.
8. Consult your doctor. If your fatigue persists and you have other symptoms like breathlessness or even fainting, it may mean you have anaemia, which an iron supplement can fix. Your doctor may also want to check your thyroid to make sure you are not suffering from hypothyroidism.