9 Ways to Beat the Baby Blues
Becoming a mum is a joyous occasion. Yet you may be feeling weepy, anxious and irritable. Eighty per cent of new mums feel this way due to hormonal changes and the stress of new responsibilities. Some may even experience a full-blown depression.
If you are one of them, here are tips to lift your mood:
1. Get out of the house. A walk in the park will increase levels of feel-good endorphins and the fresh air will lift your spirits.
2. Be easy on yourself. Put off making big decisions and try not to be self-critical.
3. Nap Time. Try joining your baby for his mid-day nap.
4. Read a good book. Or watch a funny movie to take your mind off your worries.
5. Talk. To your doctor, mum, friends... to anyone who cares about you and is happy to be your sounding board. It will make you feel better.
6. Eat. If you are feeling down, you can forget to eat, but small regular healthy meals will keep your energy levels up.
7. Listen to upbeat music. And dance around your living room.
8. Join a baby support group. This is a great way to connect with new mums and confide in somebody who understands how you are feeling.
9. Ask for help. The baby blues are temporary, but if your mood swings don’t go away, see a doctor about it. The earlier you seek help, the faster will you recover.