Put Back the Glow
Where’s that famed pregnancy glow, you may be wondering as your usually flawless complexion starts looking dry and flaky. Hormonal changes rob skin of oil, moisture and elasticity. With the extra pounds you’re carrying, the bottoms of your feet may also start cracking.
Here are some steps you can take to put the glow back in your skin:
1. Avoid using harsh soaps or products that dry out your skin’s moisture. Switch to non-soap cleansers instead.
2. Keep your skin moisturized at all times by applying moisturizer during the day and night. Reapply throughout the day. Unscented products are best, since dry skin tends to be sensitive as well, especially when you’re expecting.
3. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your skin moist.
4. For your cracked feet, apply a specific type of skin moisturizer that treats cracked and dry feet.
5. Dry skin also leads to stretch marks. While you can’t prevent them, you can minimize their appearance by moisturizing your belly (including your thighs, buttocks and hips) as it expands.
6. Wear a sunscreen every day to protect your skin when you go out.
7. A good diet is important for good skin. Include good fats in your diet, found in olive oil, nuts and avocados.
8. Stay away from chemical-based treatments (or peels), which can be absorbed through the skin. If you are unsure, check with your doctor.